As the world reopens for travel, people will be more concerned than ever about the cleanliness of their vacation rentals. In an effort to help you anticipate and deliver the experience travelers need to feel safe while staying at your properties, we’ve compiled this list of comprehensive cleaning and disinfecting guidelines.
These guidelines were created in consultation with Expedia Group partner Cristal International Standards, part of Intertek Group, and with the Vacation Rental Management Association (VRMA). They’re based on publicly available information from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
We hope they help you identify opportunities to upgrade your standard cleaning protocols and empower you to reassure travelers of your commitment to their safety.
As the travel industry recovers from the effects of COVID-19, we’re rooting for your success. Thank you, as always, for your valued partnership.
The emergence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has created a need to take additional cleaning and disinfection measures to help prevent its spread and help ensure the safety of travelers and partners.
Partners are encouraged to:
- Use accurate, reputable sources of information including the WHO, the CDC, and local authorities
- Make sure to follow local regulations, where applicable
- Have a proactive plan to manage and minimize the risks associated with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) and similar events, such as a prevention of spread of infection plan
- Implement an enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of the property between stays
- If using an external or professional cleaning company, communicate expectations and plans for cleaning and disinfection standards, and get periodic confirmation that they are being followed by the company contracted
- Communicate to travelers on measures implemented, both pre-stay and during stay, via listing content and property information booklet
Partners should display cleaning policies and procedures via:
- Structured amenities
- Property description
- Property information booklet
- Any other means reasonably available — such as door hangers, signs, or checklists on display
Vrbo/Expedia Group will monitor this content and reserves the right to remove any information that it deems to be inaccurate based on traveler feedback and other sources of information, including but not limited to direct interaction with the partner.
Additional Vrbo Resources